Urbanism – Landscape and City M.Sc. - Application

All applicants for a master's degree who did not obtain their qualification for postgraduate studies (usually a bachelor's degree) in a country within the EU/EEA need to apply via uni-assist: https://www.tum.de/en/studies/application-and-acceptance/uni-assist/

Applicants should submit the following documents along with their application:

  • Curriculum vitae in tabular form 
  • A transcript of records consisting of modules of at least 140 ECTS points for a 3-year undergraduate degree, 170 ECTS points for a 3½-year undergraduate degree and 200 ECTS points for a 4-year degree. If the transcript consists of more than 140 points, the applicant should provide a list of the 140 best-graded ECTS points.
  • A portfolio of selected own work (max 10 A3 pages) or the bachelor’s thesis (max A3 format). PDF file no larger than 20 MB, upload in the application platform of TUM.
  • Proof of a period of relevant practical experience in Germany or abroad of at least six months, or of an additional period of study abroad at a foreign university totaling at least one semester and 20 credits. The mandatory period of study in the TUM’s own architecture and landscape architecture bachelor’s degree programs fulfill this requirement. 
  • A letter of motivation describing the applicant’s specific abilities, interests and reasons for wishing to be admitted to the M.Sc. in Urbanism course at the TUM (max. 2 pages A4). 
  • An essay according to academic standards on an urbanism-related topic (min. 3000 characters in German or English). This essay can also be an elaboration of the applicant’s own opinion with regard to an urban issue in the form of an exposé. 
  • A signed assurance that the essay and letter of motivation was written without assistance, that the reasons given for choosing this study program are the applicant’s own, and that any thoughts stemming from other sources have been identified as such. 
  • Applicants from abroad should provide proof of adequate proficiency in the German language. Informations about German language skills

If you have already completed relevant courses at a different university or in another course of study, you can apply to a higher subject semester (Fachsemester). To do this, you need a credit transfer report (upstream process). Please get in touch with the study advisor.

The application will be assessed by a committee on the basis of the documents submitted. Applicants may be asked to attend an aptitude assessment interview.