Funding and Financing Your Exchange

Photo © Jakob Nürnberger, CEPT University Ahmedabad, Indien

General information on how to finance your studies

The TUM website provides further information about funding opportunities and relevant contact details. 

Tuition fees at partner universities

The partner universities of the Department of Architecture of TUM do not charge any tuition fees for our students, when they come on exchange.  However, some universities charge administration fees on the basis of what local students pay (similar to our Studentenwerksbeitrag). 

Leave of absence

Grant for Erasmus exchange students 

Students participating in an exchange with an Erasmus partner university (within Europe, Turkey, Norway, Switzerland etc.) will receive a monthly grant. The amount of the grant depends on the country and the duration of the stay (see information about Erasmus+). Additional financial aid can be claimed for students with disabilities or for students going on exchange with their child / children. Once you have been selected for an Erasmus exchange you will receive further directly information from the International Office at TUM.

Financial support for study-related stays abroad

Target group: German students at TUM
Preferably for a stay in non-European countries
Application and further information.

Scholarship database

Scholarships for study abroad are regularly announced by the International Office on their website.
The German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) offers a very good and detailed database for finding funding opportunities.  
Generally, it is recommended to seek a scholarship for the entire study course, not just for the exchange period. 


“Auslandsbafög” is a good financial support for studying abroad in European and non-European countries. If you are eligible to get a domestic student loan (“Inlandsbafög”), you will definitely also be eligible to receive AuslandsBaföG. If you are not eligible to get a domestic student loan, you should still apply for AuslandsBaföG. Due to the higher costs abroad, more students are eligible to receive state funding.

Fullbright Commission

The Fulbright Commission offers scholarships for studying abroad at an American university (does not need to a partner university of TUM or the Department of Architecture).

Federation of German-American Clubs e.V.

The federation provides scholarships for studying at an American university (does not need to a partner university of TUM or the Department of Architecture).

Ranke-Heinemann Studienstiftung

Promotes study periods in Australia and New Zealand. The foundation also provides helpful information for a study period in the two countries.

Bayhost stipends

The Bavarian Academic Center for Central, Eastern and Southeastern Europe (BAYHOST) offers scholarships for studying in Central, Eastern and Southeastern Europe. Bayhost also awards scholarships for language courses.

Amerika Haus

The Amerika Haus offers a range of valuable information on scholarships and financing of studies in the United States.

Education loan

Education loans are another way of financing your education

The platform helps students and graduates searching for grants. The portal has over 2.100 different types of grants and matches the grants to the students / graduates individually.