Department of Architecture
The Department of Architecture at the Technical University of Munich has 1.500 students and 200 members of academic staff working in 31 professorships, and takes a research-oriented approach to teaching also in cooperation with businesses and public institutions - embedded in the vibrant living and research environment of the Greater Munich Area.
The department, which was founded in 1868, is the only university-level educational institution in Bavaria to teach architecture and is embedded in one of the best universities in Europe. It has a diverse portfolio of subject areas and good infrastructure. Its inner-city location in the artistic quarter of Munich is ideal for a school of architecture.
The department belongs to one of the top universities in Europe. As a university, the TUM is committed to excellence in research and teaching, interdisciplinary education and the active promotion of promising young professionals. It also forges strong links with businesses and academic institutions around the world. The TUM describes itself as an entrepreneurial university and was one of the first three universities to be appointed to the German Excellence Initiative program. With its “Emerging Field Policy”, the TUM explores new areas of development at the intersection of academia, the economy, and society.
At THE World University Ranking (2018) TUM is top-ranked in Germany among Technical Universities. At universities which offer architecture our Department belongs to TOP 30 worldwide, 6th within Europe and by far number 1 in Germany.
At QS World University Ranking 2017 (Subject Architecture) the Department ranks 1st in Germany and among TOP 30 world wide. Academic and employer reputation as well as publication performance are evaluated for this survey. In general, TUM is listed as No. 1 university throughout Germany.
Repeatedly, the architecture courses of TUM were selected for DOMUS TOP 50 Architecture Schools in Europe (2017). TUM convinces the renowned journal with its strong technical focus and for having a spotlight towards an intention to build.
TUM has been awarded top marks for the study of architecture in the new rankings of the Centre for Higher Education (CHE). The ranking is based mainly on the assessment of students. The university features in the top group in the “Overall study situation”, “Courses offered”, “International orientation” and “Graduations in appropriate time” categories, positioning the Department as excellent choice for students.
In a study undertaken by the CHE, the Department ranked among the TOP 3 architectural schools in Germany in all categories of third-party funding (EUR 4.5 million total revenue in 2015).
In a European benchmark of schools of architecture we are rated favorably for:
- Technically-oriented education with a strong focus on constructional design
- Education is directed towards an intention to build
- Strong workshop infrastructure and studio environment
- Highly diverse portfolio of study programs
- Basic education of 8 semesters duration with integrated academic year abroad
- Research on energy-related technologies and the aim of zero-emission architecture
- The Architekturmuseum: one of the most significant historical archives and platforms for curating architecture
- Comprehensive portfolio in Landscape Architecture and Urbanism
- Integration of special field Industrial Design
- Integration of special field Restoration
- Close links to TUM civil engineers (digital methods, energy, timber construction, mobility, sustainable cities)
- Very high integration potential in diverse research environments at the TUM (inter-faculty research programs (WZW, MW), Collaborative Research Centers MSE and MCTS)