Before 1808, when the Building School at the Academy of Arts in Munich was founded, there was no academic training for architects in Bavaria. The first teacher of what was then called “Baukunst” – the art of building – was the young Carl von Fischer, who had been appointed in 1806 at the age of 24.
The Academy’s resistance to embrace industrialization and technology led in 1833 to the founding of a new polytechnic school in Munich. At that time there was no division between the training of architects and civil engineers at the school, and it was not until the introduction of the state examination for “Civil building engineers” in the 1850s, an important title for civil servants in the state building authority, that architectural training in Munich began to change, culminating in the founding of the “New Polytechnic School” – which is now the TU München – in 1868 and the closure of the Building School at the Academy in 1873.
Carl von Fischer, Korinthisches Pilasterkapitell, um 1810 | Architekturmuseum der TU München, Sign. fis_c-40-1