The Department of Architecture lists a plenty of ongoing research and development projects. The number of registered doctorates – currently more than 160 – is very high in comparison with other german schools of architecture.
The Department has an excellent reputation in architectural research throughout Germany. In a study undertaken by the CHE Centre for Higher Education (Centrum für Hochschulentwicklung), the Department ranked among the TOP 3 architectural schools in Germany in all categories of third-party funding (EUR 4.5 million total revenue in 2015).
In recent years, the Department has forged further structural partnerships and participated in research center collaborations. It is particularly well-connected with the other engineering disciplines at the TUM.
Main Areas of Research
- Urban and Landscape Transformation
- Digital Methods for the Built Environment
- Theory of Architecture, Criticism and Curatorial Practice
- Conservation and Rebuilding of Architecture and Cultural Heritage
- Timber Architecture and Basic Building
- Climate Responsive Design and Circular Engineering
- Human Centered Design